Thomas Gottschalk is a German radio and tv presenter. He is best known for presenting the German tv show Wetten, dass..? between 1987 and 2011. It is considered one of the most famous shows on German tv ever and one of the last big Saturday evenings shows on tv. Next to his job as a presenter, Thomas Gottschalk is also a famous advertising figure and widely known for his extravagant style as well as his charming personality.
What was Wetten, dass..? about?
Wetten, dass..? was considered the biggest tv show in Europe. Between 1987 and 2014, a total of four different tv presenters entertained people in German-speaking countries in Europe including Frank Elstner (who founded the show in 1987), Thomas Gottschalk, Wolfgang Lippert, and Markus Lanz. During every show, German as well as international celebrities were invited (betting sponsors) and had to guess, if the betting provider was able to fulfill his task or not. The betting provider was a person who was able to do something extraordinary or funny. The family-show provided people with funny moments, celebrity talks and exciting moments.
Five Thomas Gottschalk Facts
Thomas Gottschalk became tremendously famous through Wetten, dass..? and is until today one of the most famous people in German tv history. Find out more about him through the following facts:
- Thomas Gottschalk was born on May 18, 1950, in Bamberg. He has two younger siblings, a brother named Christoph Gottschalk (a lawyer and manager) and a sister named Raphaela Ackermann (who is also a German tv presenter). In his biography Herbstbunt from 2019, Gottschalk describes his childhood as very traditional. He was raised in a Roman-Catholic household and was also an altar boy. For some time, he even considered becoming a priest. But due to his talent in talking, he, later on, gained interest in becoming a radio presenter.
- During his peak time in the 1990s and 2000s, he was also famous for his advertisements. For instance, he had a deal with the German confectionery manufacturer Haribo between 1991 and 2015.
- In 1976, he married the five years older actress Thea Hauer. They have two sons together (Tristan, who was adopted and Roman, born in 1982), who are living in the US. Gottschalk and Thea announced their break up in 2019 – after 42 years of marriage. A widely discussed topic in German media as – at the same time he also showed up with his new girlfriend Karina Mross. Later on he revealed in the German magazine Spiegel, that he doesnt’t know if it was the right decision, but he just followed an inner voice. In late 2019, it became public that Thomas Gottschalk gifted Thea a new mansion in Malibu.
- In late 2018, during the forest fires in California, Thomas Gottschalks mansion with the famous windmill burnt down. During that time, he was in Germany for a job, while his wife Thea was in the their Californian mansion. Fortunately, she and their two cats have been rescued, but nothing else was left behind. After the incident with the mansion, Thomas Gottschalk was relieved that no one came to harm, but also showed especially sad that an original handwriting (The Panther) from the Bohemian-Austrian poet Rainer Maria Rilke got burnt as well. Furthermore, Andy Warhol organized an exhibition during the time when the windmill was built and – in course of this occasion – scribbled the windmill on one of his Mickey Mouse Posters as well as signed it with a personal thanks. This poster also got burnt by the fire.
- He published two autobiographies, one in 2015 called “Herbstblond” (autmn blonde) and one in 2019 called “Herbstbunt” (autumn colorful).