Martin Schulz Facts
Martin Schulz was the SPD (Social Democratic Party) candidate for the chancellorship in Germany. The elections of the German Parliament took place on September 24, 2017. 10 Interesting Martin Schulz Facts:
- Martin Schulz was born on December 20, 1955, in Eschweiler, Germany. His father was a police officer, his mother is one of the foundings members of a local group of the CDU (Christian Democratic Union). Martin Schulz is the youngest of five children.
- He left school without the highest school leaving certificate in Germany, the “Abitur”. Instead, he only has a “Fachabitur” which would allow him to study in technical colleges.
- Martin Schulz is a trained bookseller. In 1982, he opened his own book shop in his hometown Würselen, which still exists.
- He is the father of two children. His son was born in 1987, his daughter in 1990. Martin Schulz’ wife Inge Schulz is an architect.
- He is a fan of the German soccer club 1. FC Köln ( = Cologne). As a child, Martin Schulz wanted to become a professional soccer player and was captain of the second league youth team in his hometown. At the age of 20, he got injured at the meniscus, which made him change his plans.
- He joined the party SPD at the age of 19 and became mayor of his hometown Würselen at the age of 31 – the former youngest mayor in the federal state North Rhine-Westphalia.
- Doesn’t drink alcohol since 1980. After he became addicted due to his failed career as a professional soccer player, Schulz was thinking about suicide. His brother Erwin convinced him to start a withdrawal.
- He likes France and especially singing French songs. Next to German, he is also fluent in French, English, Dutch and Italian.
- In 1994, he was elected into the EU-parliament. During that time, he suffered from fear of flying. His then four-year-old daughter gifted him a figure of a hippo. Until today, he is taking it with him as a talisman.
- He is writing a daily diary since 1982: every day exactly one page.